From the Humane Society of the United States of America!
1. Have a heart, be smart and make sure your pet is spayed or neutered.
2. Make sure your pet wears a collar and current identification tag, consider micro chipping to enable being returned if he/she loses collar.
3. To prevent animal behavioral problems, make sure you enroll your new puppy in behavioral training classes.
4. Animal behavioral problems can be health related, make sure your pet has an annual exam medical exam by a veterinarian.
5. Prepare for disasters, make sure you have a plan for your pet in case of a hurricane, tornado, fire or flood.
6. Plan for your pets future in case something happens to you.
7. Learn how to avoid dog bites and how to prevent your dog from biting by going to the human society website.
Visit humane society.org for more info